
I have qualms about it. Bass below 100 Hz is pretty omnidirectional. That said, a point source should be more efficient. Many do not use a low enough xover for subs. Lastly, not one to jump on the latest bandwagon.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
I personally use a Samson S3 - 3 way electronic crossover. It's very nice and sounds great. Got everything you need to do up to 3 way stereo setups or 4/5 way mono. Has a CD Horn button, individual mutes for woof, mid and tweeter on each channel, and has a built in limiter. You can even use a mono or stereo sub, etc. The sub or woofer crossover point is adjustable from 35 hz and up. The unit is built well and has a great warranty also. It uses XLR on for inputs and outputs so you need adapters to run RCA cables. But it's all worth it. I'd say the Alpine subs will sound fine but will need power so they can keep up with the Altecs. A rating of 85dB for 1 watts is inefficient. I wouldn't use any of the crossovers you mentioned personally. I absolutely HATE Behringer equipment. Tried it with a few different pieces and they all sucked compared to better brands. Yes they have a lot of features, lights, bells and whistles but don't sound too great IMHO. Every piece I've had has failed within a short time; way too short. They just don't seem to last long term. I really take care of my equipment and baby it too. I've heard others have good luck with them and like the sound but each to his own. Anyways, good luck and have fun. That's what it's all about.
BTW - you can get a Samson 2 way crossover that's the same for less money. It's of course the S2 model.
Thanks Old Great one and Hemi. Just got the wires to hook up the Crown and Soundcraftsmen and freaked out when one of the subs channels was dead. Ripped out all of the wiring, wired and rewired until everything was in knots and finally hooked up the Sony Discman to the Radio Shack switching thingy to the EQ to the pre-amp to the Crown and all is good. It must be the wiring inside the sub box as both subs work, just not at the same time.
Amazing how the Crown sounds compared to the Radio Shack Sherwood amp, it's as if the Sherwood is missing everything below 40hz and above 12,000hz. I don't even have the Piezo's or bass tone boost crankedTomorrow, hopefully I will get everything sorted out and be able to run the Alpines full range and see what the sensitivity difference between the two is.
Makes me want to re-cone the A7-500s and relive the old day glory.
Listening to Weather Report, "Black Market".
Last edited by VolvoHeretic; May 7th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]
Bookmarks